An admirable project of the Grand Lodge was the creation of a Committee on Military and Naval Masonic Activity which was to render service to brethren and sons of brethren in the armed forces. The resolution was introduced by Past Master Charles C. Clark at the Annual Communication in June 1941. Funds for the committee's work were to be provided by voluntary contributions. The committee lost no time in becoming active and in a letter to each lodge on February 7, 1942, made its first report. On August 26, 1942, the then Grand Master, Ford L. Van Hoesen, asked for a contribution of twenty-five cents from each member. This request was repeated for the next five years, being discontinued after January l, 1947. By a request of the committee in June 1943, the funds available to the committee were to be allotted as follows: 40 %, to the Masonic Service Association; 40 % to rehabilitation, and 20 % to Iowa's program of service. In June 1946, Grand Master William L. Perkins recommended to the Grand Lodge that a portion of the money from these contributions be set aside to erect a war memorial as a part of the new Grand Lodge Library building which was now in the early planning stages. His recommendation was adopted. Surplus funds of the committee were invested in government bonds, and when construction of the new building was started in 1953 the bonds were cashed and the sum of $47,435.00 was available. This made possible the exquisite memorial hall with a roster of lodge members who served during the war.